header right

Legal Help Center

Hours, Location, Services

Legal Help Center (Facilitator’s Office)
Howard G. Gibson Courthouse
Bill Santucci Justice Center
10820 Justice Center Drive, Roseville CA 95678
Contact Us

Schedule an online appointment for a onsite visit with the Legal Help Center

About Our Services

The Legal Help Center does not represent customers in court.  We provide legal and procedural information and assistance with court forms. Our services are not confidential.   We assist both sides of the case equally.  To get advice or have a confidential conversation, you must speak with a private attorney. All services of the Legal Help Center are free.

What Types of Cases Do We Help With?

The Legal Help Center will attempt to steer you in the right direction in any type of case.  The bulk of the issues we help customers with are family law, child support, evictions and small claims.  Our most frequently provided services are listed by type of law, below, and we provide instructions and links if you want to try to do the paperwork yourself.  We are happy to provide in-person assistance if you want to come to one of our clinics or workshops. If you don't see what you need on this web page and you need assistance, just ask!

Walk-In Clinic Hours and Information

Self-Help Center
The Self Help Center is open:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Self Help service are available by appointment only. Appointments are available online in advance or same day at the lobby kisok. If you want a same-day appointment, you should arrive at 8 a.m. as those appointments can be taken very quickly.

A printable instruction sheet for making appointments and check in for appointments can be downloaded by clicking here.

Finish Your Divorce Clinic

This clinic offers one-on-one assistance to Self-Represented litigants with the paperwork necessary to finish a divorce. This is a very popular clinic with limited space. Litigants are assisted by appointment only.

Note: In order to attend the Clinic you must:

  1. Wait at least 31 days from the date that the Respondent was served with the Petition and Summons, and
  2. Have filed your Proof of Service of Summons, or bring it for the clinic and
  3. Have completed your financial disclosures (Income and Expense Declaration and Schedule of Assets and Debts. Click here for instructions). The Petitioner is required to complete disclosures. The Respondent is required to complete disclosures if a Response has been filed or if the parties wish to make a full agreement, and
  4. The Petitioner must be at the Clinic if the divorce is “uncontested” (no Response has been filed), or
  5. Both the Petitioner and Respondent must come to the clinic if a Response is filed or if the parties wish to make a full agreement. Both sides must agree on all issues that apply to their case. This includes: child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support and division of property.

This clinic is held every Thursday at 1:30 p.m. You may schedule an appointment by clicking the appointment link above. Limited same-day appointments will be available at the Ticket Kiosk on the first floor of the courthouse starting at 1 p.m. on Thursday.

Where: Check in at the second floor Legal Help Center window at 1:00 p.m.

What to bring: Stamps and envelopes or money to buy them (usually around 6 stamps or $3.00). Each person’s drivers license or other photo ID. You must also have the other party’s mailing address with you.


Divorce Video

This office has compiled a video/DVD called “How to do Your Own Divorce in Placer County (Without Shooting Yourself in the Foot).” It is 90 minutes long, and we recommend that anyone going through a divorce watch this video. It gives an overview of the divorce process and issues that may arise during a typical divorce case. It is available for free checkout at all public libraries in Placer County.

If you would like to purchase the video or DVD for $10.00, you may do so during court hours (Monday – Friday 8:00am – 3:00pm.)

You may also send a check or money order for $13.00 made out to Placer County Superior Court if you would like to purchase a copy by mail. Send it to: Legal Self- Help Center, Placer County Superior Court,  PO Box 619072, Roseville CA 95661.. Please specify DVD or VHS and include your mailing address.

Instruction Sheets and Information

Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment

General Information about Divorce, Legal Separation and Annulment here.

“Start Your Divorce” Instruction sheet here.

Child Custody and Support

General information about child custody and support here.

If you want to get child custody or support orders, you must open the right kind of court case, then ask for orders in that case. You can open the court case and ask for orders at the same time by turning in all the papers to the court clerk. There are several kinds of court cases, depending on the circumstances.

You and the child’s other parent are married

You and the child’s other parent are divorced from each other

You and the child’s other parent have never been married to each other

  • The father has been legally established*: File Petition for Custody and Support
  • *Legally established: This can happen in different ways—the most common are: the parents signed a “Declaration of Paternity” in the hospital when the child was born, or the Department of Child Support Services is collecting child support for this child.
  • The father has not been legally established: File Petition to Establish Parental Relationship


Additional Online Resources

www.courts.ca.gov. This website is maintained by the California Judicial Council and has all of the statewide court forms used in California Courts. It also has an excellent Self-Help section.

Centro de Ayuda de las Cortes de California

www.lawhelp.org Provides information on legal issues and local Self Help resources for all fifty states. This can be a helpful starting point for dealing with out of state cases.

© 2006 - 2013 Superior Court of California, County of Placer. All rights reserved
Terms of Use | Site Map | Comments regarding this Web site may be directed to: webmaster@placer.courts.ca.gov